Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current record for most thumbs up is 14,436.

Fc7zdJf.png

* Taking a picture of WHAT, exactly?!

*Whatever it was must've been VERY rare...!

owZH609.png

* TELL ME NOW...!

... and in this topic, I unexpectedly bring back the Asgoremoticons. =\

EDIT: Okay, Broke N. told me over on Skype... buuuuuut I think I'll just keep this between the two of us. >=3

Finally finished the game today. Damn, that was amazing.

My final team was uh

Solgaleo(Nebby)(Seriously, after that, how could I have named it anything else? funk you Gamefreak ;_;)

Decidueye(Arash)

Gyarados(I..haven't named her sadly. Even though she's legit MVP)

Salazzle(Ordine)
Kommo-o(Valimar)
RIbombee(Hotaru)

More than anything else I was really impressed by the NPCs in this game and how much more alive they feel than the usual Pokemon cast.

One thing I do not like about this game is it's linearity. True, this is a staple in all RPG's but when your pokedex tells you where you need to go, that can cause problems. But you don't have to follow the games path.

I'm still gonna wait until Monday to get my Totodile.

I thought that to access the sea cave you needed Lapras or Sharpedo. I did not know there was a shortcut in Melemele Meadow.

Not gonna lie, Luvdisc being a 1% encounter in MeleMele sea is hilarious.

Going to hold back a bit on Battle Tree stuff as well, least until I get my power 'mons over here. Not saying that my current team is bad (as I am training them by competitive standards), but if this is going to be like Showdown and all of the NPCs spam max IV / competitive sets, I need to be up to their level.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I remember when I was playing W2, I got to the Champions tourney in the PWT with my story team.

One thing I do not like about this game is it's linearity. True, this is a staple in all RPG's but when your pokedex tells you where you need to go, that can cause problems.

Really? I thought this game was the least linear Pokemon has ever been. You get both Fly and Surf very early on and I feel a lot more free in deciding whether to continue with the game's plot or sidetrack into doing something else like filling the 'dex or getting some pocket change by doing side quests (by filling up the 'dex). You even get to the breeders and a Ditto fairly early on too so you could stop and breed for shinies or something. The world felt a lot wider and more open than in the previous Pokemon games I've played, even though the islands were actually not that large.

Since people are talking about breeding, after you beat the game go and battle Morimoto in Heahea City to get the Oval Charm. Will make your life a lot easier since breeding different species Pokemon from the same game can take forever.

Also, didn't realize you get the Shiny Charm for finishing the Alolan Dex and not the whole thing.

Not gonna lie, Luvdisc being a 1% encounter in MeleMele sea is hilarious.

This explains why you have the food places giving out heart scales. You can not farm for them with an encounter rate that low.

Since people are talking about breeding, after you beat the game go and battle Morimoto in Heahea City to get the Oval Charm. Will make your life a lot easier since breeding different species Pokemon from the same game can take forever.Also, didn't realize you get the Shiny Charm for finishing the Alolan Dex and not the whole thing.This explains why you have the food places giving out heart scales. You can not farm for them with an encounter rate that low.

....,.................................SHINY CHARM?! Does that increase the chance of encounters with shinys?!

This explains why you have the food places giving out heart scales. You can not farm for them with an encounter rate that low.

I mean, they have a 70% rate when fishing in Route 9, though, and that's not even with the bubbles needed. I got plenty of Heart Scales from them before I realized the restaurants sold them. Their fish rate is 40% in Melemele Sea with the bubbles, too.

Regarding linearity, have there been any Pokemon games that haven't been linear? I mean, in certain games you could get a couple badges in different order, but I wouldn't say that's all that significant.

I mean, they have a 70% rate when fishing in Route 9, though, and that's not even with the bubbles needed. I got plenty of Heart Scales from them before I realized the restaurants sold them. Their fish rate is 40% in Melemele Sea with the bubbles, too.

Regarding linearity, have there been any Pokemon games that haven't been linear? I mean, in certain games you could get a couple badges in different order, but I wouldn't say that's all that significant.

Ok, that makes more sense. Still, just throwing money at it is way better than having to fish them up. Especially since they are so cheap. 

Yes. And the Shiny Charm's been a thing since Black and White 2, but required the completion of the National Dex.

This is why I was surprised you only need the Alolan one. Curious if you get anything for finishing the National Dex then.

REPORTING IN

Caught a Mareanie. Corsola took a damn long time to find but Mare came out after three SOS calls or something.

Same here! Caught one yesterday and evolved it to Toxapex before bed.

I have to agree on the linearity "issue." I feel like there's a lot more flexibility this time around, and while it does have a linear progression, that's been the case for every game to date. Although I do think catching certain pokémon's harder than it used to be. I feel like a lot more of them are rarer to find this time around.

REPORTING IN

Caught a Mareanie. Corsola took a damn long time to find but Mare came out after three SOS calls or something.

Yeah, I struggled with this for a while, too. However, I looked up where Corsola was easiest to catch (Memelele Sea, bubbling area) and just soft-resetted until I found Corsola. Caught it, left route, came back, did it again until it called its predator over.

Is the shiny charm a key item or what?

Finally found stuffle. Trying to find a pichu. Somewhere on memele island. Whats the encounter rate?

I think it is a key item, as you can't discard it.

As for Pichu, it should be in Hau'oli City; not sure on encounter but think 1-5% (yeah, you'll have to look hard for it).

You mean Sandygast?

Hano Grand Resort (you should have a 20% chance at finding them). Though to be fair, the encounter rates should be listed on Serebii.

Ah yes, sandygast. Thats what I was wondering about. Thanks.

EDIT: Critical captured it!

So 3 things have occured to me, as I played.

Actual spoilers are within, so be careful if you've not yet finished the game/been spoiled.

[spoiler=1 - Timeline Stuff]

The first is one I realized a while ago, but never posted:

The original timeline doesn't work anymore. Why?

Wally. Wally is clearly around the same age as ORAS, possibly 2-3 years older... but Red/Blue are young adults. Their appearance sets them around 18-21, as opposed to being 10 in the past. This creates a discrepancy with the previous canon timeline, which had Gen 1/2 happening at the same time as Gen 3/4, respectively.

Furthermore, this game is also post-Black/White 2, as evidenced by Colress' dialogue, which would set the original Black and White post-Kanto but pre-Hoenn.

[spoiler=2 - Sinnoh]Cynthia seems to be around the same age as she would be in DPPt, but this is more speculation than not, as she's an adult. She didn't get a redesign, but her design is also iconic, so whatever.

What is interesting, though, is how S/M seem to draw parallels to DPPt. May be simultaneous in the new timeline?

This game focuses on dimensions and things beyond us, unlike Gens 1-3, 5, and 6.

It has variants based on location (Gastrodon)/setup with a similar divide to Sinnoh.

Silvally is clearly a recreation of Arceus, through "alchemy".

And Lusamine... feels like an inverse of Cyrus.

She seeks to preserve everything, as opposed to destroy it.

She seeks a perfect world, and values life above all, as opposed to valuing machinery and silence in Cyrus' perfect world.

She ends up tapping into an alternate dimension with unspeakable beings (UB, Giratina)

She's insane, but hides it behind a calm, if not a bit cold, visage.

It's also interesting how this gen doesn't focus on Mega Evolution, instead on Z-Moves... Which seem to require less of an innate connection to Pokemon. Which would fit Cyrus more.

Not saying Sinnoh confirmed, but it feels like it may be.

Oh, and Honey mentions "special trees" again. Which is interesting.

Plus, minor things like Salazzle to mirror Vespiquen.

[spoiler=3 - Canon Starter AND Inheritance Cycles/Symbolism]As I mentioned yesterday, evidence suggests that the canon start is Rowlet. Things fall into place if you consult the official art of Gladion with Silvally, which depicts his Silvally as a Fire-type. You could say Silvally can change, but let's delve into a bit of speculation, before some more solid evidence.

Decidueye is a Ghost Sniper. Both of these associate it with being silent, which fits into the silent protagonist bit. This one is mostly silly.

Primarina's line is associated with entertainment. Having fun and making smiles, enjoying life. It's been called a performapal/Yuya for a reason, and it really does fit Hau as a starter, despite its effeminate appearance.

Then we have Incineroar, who... Let's be honest, funking fits Masked Royal Kukui in every way. but... Let's delve into this a little bit more.

Kukui

Guzma

Molayne

These three seemingly took the challenge at the same time, as evidenced by in-game dialogue/interactions. And, wouldn't you know it, they can easily fill similar tropes.

Kukui was the protag, with a fate decided on his own.

Guzma is a rival, with a foxus on winning and being powerful, which bears similarities to rivals such as Gladion, Silver, and, especially, Blue.

Molayne is the friendly rival, who ended up becoming a part of the system (Kahuna, Trial Leader, etc., to fit with Hau)

What makes this interesting, however, is that there's a certain starter that makes this into a type trio, of sorts. At least, from the protag, Kukui's, POV.

If Kukui has Litten, then he loses to Guzma (Golisopod, bug > dark [technially], water > fire) and beats Molayne (Steel-types).

This also fits in, with us going back to Red and Blue. Kukui is associated with Kanto, to a degree, and seems to be canonically associated with a Fire starter (Charizard)... While Guzma is associated with a Water type (Blastoise), and fits the Blue type of rival moreso, with Gladion being a Silver, fitting with the seeming inheritance cycle between Gen 1 (Kukui, etc.) and Gen 2 (Protag, etc.).

I could rant more, but this seems rather intentional, and rather clever.

[spoiler=Bonus - Pokemon Stars]The fact it's called Stars, instead of Star, plus the listed info above... If the rumor is true, it makes me wonder if it won't be a large port/remake of the old games.

Sun/Moon seems interwoven into every single Gen.

It has nods to Kanto/Johto, while also having direct influence from them.

It's a location that seems to mirror Hoenn.

Sinnoh above.

A lot of the story, villainy, and overally feel of the games and designs is very Unovan.

Kalos feeds into Alola.

I just kinda wonder... If they're not going to go really crazy with Stars, because the game is too well tied into all of them.

Timeline stuff

The official artbook mentions that Grimsley here is two years after Gen V iirc.

However...

[spoiler=Postgame]

Isn't Anabel's appearance later in the game complicates matters? I'm not too sure about it but it perhaps points out to a more non-linear timeline than it appears to be. But I'm not too far reading into it just yet, so unsure.

[spoiler=Reply]

Well, it was said she came from a Ultra Wormhole, that have been shown to branch between alternate realities. The one at the Altar connects the Sun & Moon Dimensions. So, it could be possible that this Anabel came from the RSE Dimension as opposed to the ORAS Dimension.

Archived