Election Thread

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Thanks. I have some fine examples of Trump being against gay marriage too. Would you like to see those?

I mean, he opposed the equality act and has appointed judges who are against lgbtq rights.

If you have to zoom as far in as "hasn't been vocally against gay marriage" to make him look like he isn't bigoted, I don't think it says much good about your talking points.

Trump off ballot in 2018 - GOP loses 40 House seats. Lose Governorships. Only senate flips are in Red States or FL (which was well on it's way to becoming a Red State) despite Democrats having their worst map in years

Trump on ballot 2020 - GOP holds every House seat - GOP gains 12 (potentially 13 depending on NY22 recounts) House seats - Statewide GOP’s make gains, Senate hold red even under a bad map, Trump had 95% party approval rating, highest ever. Wins 19/20 bellwether counties that have predicted the election for the last 7 decades.

But he lost.

Maybe it really did happen that way, but I'd love a reason why/how it's plausible 

16 hours ago, God Emperor Cow said:

cherry_picker.jpg

this you?

Why would you go with party approval rating and not his overall approval rating? I realize that Republicans don't like people outside their party voting, but Trump having a high approval rating within his own party doesn't mean as much as you seem to believe. His victory in 2016 - a year that you conveniently left out of your comparison - has been attributed to voter apathy, or people essentially wasting their votes in protest on other candidates. While Jorgensen did get nearly 2 million votes, it was still less than half of Gary Johnson's votes. Putting aside that people blame Jill Stein more than Johnson even though she got even less votes than Jorgensen did this year, it does mean that Jorgensen didn't come anywhere close to being a spoiler for either candidate.

Then you had people who frankly were so burned by what they saw as the DNC rigging the election for Clinton, which contributed to both the apathy and the protest votes. After four years of Trump, I can't imagine that people were as eager to risk repeating that mistake this year. This year saw a massive increase in voter turnout, and given Trump's own gains this year compared to last year, I can see how that would allow Biden to win but also allow the GOP to gain some House seats.

So yes, it did happen that way, Winter. The problem is that all the points of comparison you made do not explain how Trump should have won. You're merely pointing to trends elsewhere, and suggesting that Trump should have win merely by association with those trends.

I'm sorry you're still upset about this, but it's time you grew a thicker spine.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/528073-republicans-fear-rift-in-georgia-gop-amid-attacks-from-trump

"Of chief concern to many GOP operatives is that Trump’s continued attacks on Georgia’s elections system — and mail-in voting, in particular — may serve to discourage Republicans from using a voting method that helped propel Biden to victory in the state in November.

Raffensperger has said as much himself, noting last month that some 24,000 Republicans who voted absentee in the state’s June primary did not cast a ballot in the general election, a difference that would have been more than enough to hand Trump a win in Georgia.

“They did not vote absentee, because they were told by the president ‘Do not vote absentee, it’s not secure.’ But then they did not come out and vote in person,” Raffensperger said in an interview with WSB-TV in Atlanta. “He would have won by 10,000 votes. He actually depressed, suppressed his own voting base.”"

Republicans have no one to blame but their own messiah for losing Georgia.

11 hours ago, God Emperor Cow said:

so basically this video is "one black man says good things about trump" which you are taking as proof of him not being racist

That isn't the video of him talking about Trump. That is a video of fact checks.

12 hours ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

I mean, he opposed the equality act and has appointed judges who are against lgbtq rights.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5/text

Section 2 part 1 would prevent sex from being considered when determining medical treatment.

Section 3: Public Accommodations &  Section 4: Desegregation of Public Facilities would also make it illegal to have bathrooms segregated by sex (which the vast majority of people are not ok with).

These are major issues with the bill that do not require someone to be homophobic to take issue with.

In regard to the judges; trump has only appointed 3 judges: neil gorsuch, brett kavanaugh, and any barrett.

neil and brett have both consistently ruled in favor of LGB rights such as in the Bostock V. Clayton case over gay marrage.

amy hasn't had a chance to show through action which way she leans on this matter but nor has she said anything to suggest she stands against it unless you want to try and use her religious belief to try and justify what is at he moment an unfair claim.

I'm not gonna claim to know trumps personal beliefs on the matter (nor have i seen much to suggest one way or the other), but these are a bad example.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/07/15/how-trump-compares-with-other-recent-presidents-in-appointing-federal-judges/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/third-trump-s-court-nominees-have-anti-lgbtq-history-report-n1106691

These articles are from before Ginsberg passed away, but I don't think that should make too much of a difference. I don't believe Giga was referring only to SCOTUS, as there are far more judges that Trump has appointed to other seats, and it does seem that a significant amount of them oppose LGBTQ rights.

https://www.lambdalegal.org/sites/default/files/legal-docs/downloads/27_lgbt_groups_oppose_confirmation_of_joan_larsen_and_amy_coney_barrett_.pdf

Let's not forget that before Barrett was appointed to SCOTUS, Trump had also nominated her for the Seventh Circuit. This letter cites positions she had previously expressed, rather than trying to make any presumptions about her based purely on her faith, which should more than meet the standard you were asking for.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/10/trump-has-gutted-lgbtq-rights-biden-presidency-might-undo-damage/3608929001/

Oh, hey, some good analysis about how the Trump administration has systematically attacked LGBTQ rights, and what Biden can do to reverse Trump's policies.

"Trump has appointed more than 200 judges in his presidency, leaving a mark on the judiciary for generations to come. Lambda Legal claims that a third of those judges have a deep history of anti-LGBTQ+ advocacy."

Yeah, I think we can say that Trump knew what he was doing when he appointed so many judges with that history.

We've got less than thirteen days before we can - hopefully - stop talking about the state certifications, because I am really tired of Trump's lawyers screwing up this badly, and for Trump's supporters to still pretend that this is all a part of some brilliant strategy.

1 hour ago, Phantom Roxas said:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/07/15/how-trump-compares-with-other-recent-presidents-in-appointing-federal-judges/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/third-trump-s-court-nominees-have-anti-lgbtq-history-report-n1106691

These articles are from before Ginsberg passed away, but I don't think that should make too much of a difference. I don't believe Giga was referring only to SCOTUS, as there are far more judges that Trump has appointed to other seats, and it does seem that a significant amount of them oppose LGBTQ rights.

https://www.lambdalegal.org/sites/default/files/legal-docs/downloads/27_lgbt_groups_oppose_confirmation_of_joan_larsen_and_amy_coney_barrett_.pdf

Let's not forget that before Barrett was appointed to SCOTUS, Trump had also nominated her for the Seventh Circuit, citing positions she had previously expressed, rather than trying to make any presumptions about her based purely on her faith, which should more than meet the standard you were asking for.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/10/trump-has-gutted-lgbtq-rights-biden-presidency-might-undo-damage/3608929001/

Oh, hey, some good analysis about how the Trump administration has systematically attacked LGBTQ rights, and what Biden can do to reverse Trump's policies.

"Trump has appointed more than 200 judges in his presidency, leaving a mark on the judiciary for generations to come. Lambda Legal claims that a third of those judges have a deep history of anti-LGBTQ+ advocacy."

Yeah, I think we can say that Trump knew what he was doing when he appointed so many judges with that history.

well this'll take some time to go through....

you just had to provide the most circle jerk set of sources imaginable didnt you lol.

seriously, you got a nasty habit of proving article link that just source other articles instead of tracking/providing the root sources.

going through the various links has already lead to a series a rabbit hole leading through 3+ stacks of other articles to a disconcerting number of subscription blocked site, opinion pieces without sources, and heresay statement articles without sources to back their claims. 

please try to weed through the muck a bit more next time as finding anything credible in the absolute mess that are modern articles is often like finding a needle in a hay-stack. which is why so many people with just completely disregard them nowadays.

the link regarding amy barrett is an example of a good source for your point. however, if you actually read it, you'll see that it is assuming berrett will be ant-lgbt based on a combination of her religious views, her strict adherence to the constitution, and her association with the ADF organization (which is a christian/conservative non-profit). none of this provide justifiable reasoning to claim she will stand against lgbts right

the rest i'll have to look into and, as i said, will take time.

edit: i'm finding that many the the anti-LGBT+ claims have to do with an association with ADF. for those wonder, ADF does oppose same sex marriage, but it primarily fight for religious freedom and has also been fighting against abortions (which is a strong conservative stance). assuming that anyone associating with the organization somehow agrees with everything they stand for is not a fair assumption as that is the same logic that has lead to some conservatives calling democrats the party of racism. I'm refering to the robert byrd v kkk v joe biden incident 

If I find something else, I'll show it. But I'm kinda busy with life and figuring out why I woke up at 4:30am spitting up blood. That seems a bit more important than the debate. So I'm gonna check out of this thread for a while until I am feeling better. If I decide not to step back into the debate, I want you guys to know that I had fun.

Thanks Roxas, Cow and Drill. Honestly couldn't have had a better time if you three weren't part of the debate.

9 minutes ago, Phantom Roxas said:

It's over, guys. Barr joined the liberals and helped rig the election for Biden.

Not stepping back in but this seems like a very unlikely conspiracy theory. Just saying.

Listen, if Barr says the DOJ didn't find any proof, then it must mean he's in on this. After all, this election was clearly rigged, because that's the only possible explanation for how Trump could have lost.

Sure, it's entirely possible that this was a rare moment of honesty from Barr, and there really is no evidence of widespread voting fraud, and he was breaking from Trump rather than validating the claims of fraud.

But I think it's more likely that he's stabbing Trump in the back and covering up the fraud that totally happened.

*sigh*

1 hour ago, Phantom Roxas said:

Listen, if Barr says the DOJ didn't find any proof, then it must mean he's in on this. After all, this election was clearly rigged, because that's the only possible explanation for how Trump could have lost.

Sure, it's entirely possible that this was a rare moment of honesty from Barr, and there really is no evidence of widespread voting fraud, and he was breaking from Trump rather than validating the claims of fraud.

But I think it's more likely that he's stabbing Trump in the back and covering up the fraud that totally happened.

*sigh*

But Wisconsin has no jurisdiction in Michigan?

4 minutes ago, Phantom Roxas said:

It's almost like Powell has no idea what she's doing.

I know Michigan and Wisconsin are like right next each other but that seems like a pretty big mistake. Trump should probably fire her.

The thing is, he already fired her. "Former" was right there in the tweet I linked. And yet, these lawsuits are still being done in the hopes of helping him win. Keeping in mind, she's the same lawyer who cited Edison County, which doesn't even exist.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, Godbrand said:

Trump Lawyer Sidney Powell: ‘We’re Getting Ready to Overturn Election Results in Multiple States’ 

God I love how well this aged.

24 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

I know Michigan and Wisconsin are like right next each other but that seems like a pretty big mistake. Trump should probably fire her.

Ignoring the fact she doesn't technically work for him anymore, if trump fired everyone he hires who said foolish stuff he'd be awfully lonely.

13 minutes ago, Phantom Roxas said:

The thing is, he already fired her. "Former" was right there in the tweet I linked. And yet, these lawsuits are still being done in the hopes of helping him win. Keeping in mind, she's the same lawyer who cited Edison County, which doesn't even exist.

Edison County where?

Because I quick google search shows Edison County is in New Jersey.

Archived