YCM Network

Night

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than 35 minutes according to the most recent video we have up on the channel. Just a tip for videos that involve a duel, it is kind of easier to talk about your duel than just play it out for people to watch. Kind of like Let's Plays, but for the duel.

I would have, but actually 10 of those minutes are explaining the cards, why they're in there, and what else you can use in the deck. The last two minutes are quick example duels. I could potentially cut out the part where I talk about additional choices and slow down the duels, but I don't think that's a good idea.

EDIT: What are the preferences for giving files to the Directors?

Watched the first 30 seconds of the Duel Portal video...

Dueling videos really need commentary so viewers know what's going on.

If you can't commentate live, post-commentary is just as good, if anything, better.

For Let's Plays, the more you cover in a single video, the better. I'd say go for at least 30-60 minutes, or however long it takes to complete a segment/level of the game (ex: In Pokemon Red/Blue, part 1 is everything up to beating Brock, part 2 is Misty-next gym). 10 minutes per video is a waste of time, especially when nothing really happens in that video. My pet peeve is when someone puts up a 10 minute video that's just the opening cutscene, then ends with the LPer saying "part 2 is where we do things," then ten videos later, "the first boss battle."

I'd say stick to short videos. If you have a lot of content, either cut it back or split it into a couple of shorter videos to be distributed over time. That also pads out some time too, which is important for just getting stuff out.

Obviously some videos are longer. Keep LPs strictly at about half an hour or a bit longer, but they really should have commentary.

I'll probably do a style guide for editing, titling, descriptions and stuff later, but it's early days. Get content out, mostly.

Dueling videos really need commentary so viewers know what's going on.

If you can't commentate live, post-commentary is just as good, if anything, better

Since I can't guarantee being able to record my voice for my contributions, would a written [typed] summary suffice? I can submit one to be added to my current video as well

Username: Merciful Idiot

How do you plan to contribute?:

Hmm... Where should I start? Well, I have Sony Vegas Pro, mainly for high quality editing and rendering in Youtube HD, I have Camtasia, full version and usable for recording stuff. I'm able to draw things using Paint Tool SAI and animate things using Adobe Flash, so by combining those two, I could probably put together something entertaining.

Also, while I'm not sure how this could contribute, I really love rolepalying and fanfics, as well as reviewing them. If any of you have noticed that Grand Crossver RP thing floating around in the RP section, yeah, that's mine. I'd be perfectly okay with doing a Let's Read for any of YCM's fanfics/RPs/funny threads, though I'm still getting the hang of this expensive mic I got a while ago. I love commentary and being eccentric while doing so, by the way, so I'd be glad to participate in that too. Not only that, but the walls of my room are painted blue, which means BLUE SCREEN YEAH. 

Overall, I consider myself to be a jack-of-all-trades. I'm not particularly godlike in any area, but I can do a lot. I could play the piano and write songs too, but that takes a lot of time, so I'd rather not. Apart from that, my main weakness is in consistency and scheduling, so don't expect much of that from me.

Any questions~?

Username: Merciful Idiot

How do you plan to contribute?:

Hmm... Where should I start? Well, I have Sony Vegas Pro, mainly for high quality editing and rendering in Youtube HD, I have Camtasia, full version and usable for recording stuff. I'm able to draw things using Paint Tool SAI and animate things using Adobe Flash, so by combining those two, I could probably put together something entertaining.

Also, while I'm not sure how this could contribute, I really love rolepalying and fanfics, as well as reviewing them. If any of you have noticed that Grand Crossver RP thing floating around in the RP section, yeah, that's mine. I'd be perfectly okay with doing a Let's Read for any of YCM's fanfics/RPs/funny threads, though I'm still getting the hang of this expensive mic I got a while ago. I love commentary and being eccentric while doing so, by the way, so I'd be glad to participate in that too. Not only that, but the walls of my room are painted blue, which means BLUE SCREEN YEAH. 

Overall, I consider myself to be a jack-of-all-trades. I'm not particularly godlike in any area, but I can do a lot. I could play the piano and write songs too, but that takes a lot of time, so I'd rather not. Apart from that, my main weakness is in consistency and scheduling, so don't expect much of that from me.

Any questions~?

I nominate Merciful for Director!

I'm going to add my vote on Merciful being the 4th director (that is, if Night/Axi think another director isn't going overboard)

Anyway, if I do any videos, they have to be 15 min or less b/c I have texts disabled on phone (I'm assuming Youtube is sending a message that way to confirm it). I don't think a card making video (or possibly a Smogon-related team building guide for Pokemon X should take that long)

I'm going to add my vote on Merciful being the 4th director (that is, if Night/Axi think another director isn't going overboard)

Anyway, if I do any videos, they have to be 15 min or less b/c I have texts disabled on phone (I'm assuming Youtube is sending a message that way to confirm it). I don't think a card making video (or possibly a Smogon-related team building guide for Pokemon X should take that long)

The 15 minute limit isn't in place for the Channel I believe. I think Aix already took care of it.

Whoa. I was not expecting to be nominated as a director right out of the blue by three people, but now that I'm looking at my 'things I could contribute with' list, I have to admit that it is kinda more impressive than I thought at first.

Plus, there are a few things I forgot to mention. One, on Adobe Flash, I still have the remaining beta version of Yangninja's Fanfic Duel Simulation Flash Engine, which can be used to set up a scripted custom duel in place of Duel Portal (though the process is a bit tiring). I also have Audacity, meaning that I can remove background noise -to an extent- and edit voice tones/pitches, if you guys are too lazy to do that yourself. Oh, and I'm considering about installing Adobe After Effects since I've heard a lot about it...

Um, but just to be clear, I'm not quite as talented as it may seem, I can be lazy every now and then, and tend to be really busy with RL stuff sometimes. And I'm horrible at making balanced decks, so don't ask me about those kind of things. But apart from that, I'm fine with everything. Um. So yeah.

...so erm, I decided out the Card Testing video on the YCM Network channel, and if nobody minds me throwing out some ideas and giving some insight here, I'll just go ahead with my observation. There were two immediate problems - one, the borders of the duel weren't cropped, and two, it was thirty-five minutes long, which is kinda ridiculous. The duel was kinda uneventful too. If there isn't gonna be any commentary (in fact, maybe even if there is), then the duel should at least be sped up to be watched through faster, don't you think? That's what I do with my recorded DN duels. The usage of different amounts of epic music is cool, and in fact I'm still listening through them while typing this, but if you wanna make something watchable, it might be better to use different kinds of Yu-Gi-Oh! music that fits the situation of the duel. Don't overuse epic music. Maybe take different parts from a single OST or something.

Making a duel entertaining isn't as easy as it looks, so I always prefer scripted duels when it comes to custom cards (to keep it from stretching too long, don't have any awkward pauses that frustrate viewers, etc.), but really, it doesn't matter that much.

Okay, now that I'm done with my rambling, are there any projects we're working on? Any popular ideas hanging around? If there's anything I missed, or if I'm putting a little too much into a single post, sorry~ I just found out about this network's existence a few hours ago, so.

One more thing. I was speaking to Broke N. on Skype, and he offered to do a reading of his fanfic review Heart Breakers for the Network. Or maybe a dramatic reading of My Immortal. Or something. But trust me gaiz, his own voice is the SEXIEST THING. EVER. Like seriously.

As for projects, Night suggested we do a "How Not to be a Noob" tutorial. Especially after today's events, there is more need for one.

Let's do it. 

I'm thinking we take a tally of how many people have a working mic and from there we can draft up a semi-serious, mostly humorous and lighthearted list of about 10 or so guidelines of sorts for new members to follow, then assign everyone with a mic a line and then have it recorded and sent in. 

Probably the best way to get everyone involved as well, even those who are more shy can chip in since you'll only need to be in the video for about 30-60 seconds. 

I don't have a microphone attached to my computer, so I might have to use a camera / my 3DS [if it takes sounds] to record my voice, then use Audacity or something to extract my voice.

(I personally hate hearing it recorded b/c the video somehow makes me sound horrible)

Otherwise, I'll have to use my netbook (that one has an installed mic I can use).

I still have yangninja's program saved on my Mediafire somewhere as well. (I was one of the beta testers for that thing)

That was quite a long time ago, so I'm surprised you remembered xD

As for me, I wasn't a beta tester, but I did PM him later to ask about a few things. The engine's a little outdated, but changing the skin would be easy to do. All it really needs is summoning special effects to make it look cooler, though I haven't quite gotten the hang of that part of Flash animation yet so that's not something I can do myself.

I haven't touched that thing since 2009-2010; whenever he released it.

Think one of my duels is still on Mediafire (the one I had to submit for my "certification"); should check if I still have it and if it's working.

EDIT: I checked backup drive, I still have it [along with a little template of how to do card animations]. Not the ones with Rua/Ruka's card of the week though.

And of course, instruction manual. (Of course, it's coded for the 5Ds era; not sure how we'll do Xyz and now Pendulums in this one)

Whoa. I was not expecting to be nominated as a director right out of the blue by three people, but now that I'm looking at my 'things I could contribute with' list, I have to admit that it is kinda more impressive than I thought at first.

Plus, there are a few things I forgot to mention. One, on Adobe Flash, I still have the remaining beta version of Yangninja's Fanfic Duel Simulation Flash Engine, which can be used to set up a scripted custom duel in place of Duel Portal (though the process is a bit tiring). I also have Audacity, meaning that I can remove background noise -to an extent- and edit voice tones/pitches, if you guys are too lazy to do that yourself. Oh, and I'm considering about installing Adobe After Effects since I've heard a lot about it...

Um, but just to be clear, I'm not quite as talented as it may seem, I can be lazy every now and then, and tend to be really busy with RL stuff sometimes. And I'm horrible at making balanced decks, so don't ask me about those kind of things. But apart from that, I'm fine with everything. Um. So yeah.

...so erm, I decided out the Card Testing video on the YCM Network channel, and if nobody minds me throwing out some ideas and giving some insight here, I'll just go ahead with my observation. There were two immediate problems - one, the borders of the duel weren't cropped, and two, it was thirty-five minutes long, which is kinda ridiculous. The duel was kinda uneventful too. If there isn't gonna be any commentary (in fact, maybe even if there is), then the duel should at least be sped up to be watched through faster, don't you think? That's what I do with my recorded DN duels. The usage of different amounts of epic music is cool, and in fact I'm still listening through them while typing this, but if you wanna make something watchable, it might be better to use different kinds of Yu-Gi-Oh! music that fits the situation of the duel. Don't overuse epic music. Maybe take different parts from a single OST or something.

Making a duel entertaining isn't as easy as it looks, so I always prefer scripted duels when it comes to custom cards (to keep it from stretching too long, don't have any awkward pauses that frustrate viewers, etc.), but really, it doesn't matter that much.

Okay, now that I'm done with my rambling, are there any projects we're working on? Any popular ideas hanging around? If there's anything I missed, or if I'm putting a little too much into a single post, sorry~ I just found out about this network's existence a few hours ago, so.

One more thing. I was speaking to Broke N. on Skype, and he offered to do a reading of his fanfic review Heart Breakers for the Network. Or maybe a dramatic reading of My Immortal. Or something. But trust me gaiz, his own voice is the SEXIEST THING. EVER. Like seriously.

Like I said before, though you weren't here

I feelw e should mostly do dramatic readings of YCM fics.

Since this IS YCM network, and we want to show the talent we have her, as well as the lulzy fics.

Trust me, there are a few.

Trust me.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/314008-yu-gi-oh-dark-wars/

And I'd mostly have less lengthy LPs because like I said, I mostly LP retro games. Theyd be like 13-15 minutes each at least, though.

I just want to let everyone know that Megamaw has volunteered to commentate my duel portal videos.

edit: I misread, he is looking into it

I'm looking for a commentator or 2 for my videos on a purely volunteer basis, no audition required.

Since we all have lives, people can do it in shifts or whatever so I don't mind a bunch of volunteers

Thank you megamaw or whoever ends up doing it!

Archived