Election Thread

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Meh. It's Arizona. These people would put Biden in office just to bitch when he fucks up. I mean, in all fairness, they keep Joe Arpaio as sheriff so they can bitch and moan about him being an asshole.

If someone fucks up, I think complaining is a reasonable response. Unless you are trying to imply they only voted for him so that they could complain, in which case ummmm no?

46 minutes ago, Enguin said:

cannot believe joe is getting away with this fucking hell democracy is dead and america killed it

In all fairness, Democracy has been dead since the fall of Ancient Greece. America just revived it and butchered it like a trapped hog.

12 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

In all fairness, Democracy has been dead since the fall of Ancient Greece. America just revived it and butchered it like a trapped hog.

Does greece count as democracy when only the men could vote?

Not even going into the prevalence of monarchies in ancient greece.

Also good job reading the room.

1 hour ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

Does greece count as democracy when only the men could vote?

Not even going into the prevalence of monarchies in ancient greece.

Also good job reading the room.

Yes. Greece was the world's first Democratic Government. And Rome was a Republic. So the US is essentially a hybrid system since it is technically a Democratic Republic.

5 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

[big tweet picture]

The numbers don't lie he says

I don't get the point. Who is this guy? What did he mean and is it different from what you're trying to say? What are you trying to say anyway? In any case whatever you're trying to say isn't completely self-evident, vague allusions don't help the discussion

6 hours ago, cr47t said:

I don't get the point. Who is this guy? What did he mean and is it different from what you're trying to say? What are you trying to say anyway? In any case whatever you're trying to say isn't completely self-evident, vague allusions don't help the discussion

That man is the Georgia secretary of state. The numbers he had were over 100% wrong. If he doesn't even know the number of ballots cast (which basically no other state had issues with), I'm supposed to trust he verified each signature??

Also this. lol.

9 minutes ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

That man is the Georgia secretary of state. The numbers he had were over 100% wrong. If he doesn't even know the number of ballots cast (which basically no other state had issues with), I'm supposed to trust he verified each signature??

Also this. lol.

But I thought russian tampering with the 2016 election was a myth?

4 hours ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

So you think a system where only men can vote is a true, functional democracy?

You mean how the US was a true functional democracy even when women and blacks had no rights? So how is Ancient Greece any different? You're literally debating the history of democracy here. A democracy is a system in which you collect votes. Nothing more. It's like if I couldn't choose between pizza and chilli dogs. I could put it to a vote. Whichever item gets more votes wins. Any nation that uses a voting system to pass laws, choose senate, appoint a new leader, etc. IS a democracy. So yes, Greece was a fully functional democratic government even if women didn't have a right to vote. Remember, women and blacks just barely got the right to vote in the US just over 50 years ago and yet, the US was a fully functioning democracy before that.

1 hour ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

Also this. lol.

Interesting how the hack benefited Republican Brian Kemp. Thanks for giving the evidence for us!

7 minutes ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

It wasn't. It was a dysfunctional attempt at democracy.

My point is that democracy is only a system. The group that has the right to vote is of no importance. It'd be like if I made a poll and said only latinos can vote. It is still democracy. You have a right to vote because the US is also a republic. A republic caters to the wants and needs of the people. A democracy caters to those in power.

14 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

My point is that democracy is only a system. The group that has the right to vote is of no importance. It'd be like if I made a poll and said only latinos can vote. It is still democracy. You have a right to vote because the US is also a republic. A republic caters to the wants and needs of the people. A democracy caters to those in power.

You complained about democracy being dead, yet your golden ideal was sexist. Also those last to sentences are baseless. Being a republic isn't what grants the right to vote to all groups, where the hell did you get that notion?

Just out of curiosity, what would be your opinion on removing women's right to vote? Do you think that would benefit or hurt the country at large?

2 minutes ago, (GigaDrillBreaker) said:

You complained about democracy being dead, yet your golden ideal was sexist. Also those last to sentences are baseless. Being a republic isn't what grants the right to vote to all groups, where the hell did you get that notion?

Rome was a republic. Rome catered to the people. 

The US is a republic. 

The Declaration of Independence says "We the people".

The Pledge of Allegiance says "the republic for which it stands".

If the US were solely a democracy, the senate would be choosing the next president, not you. Also, I was making a point about democracy not needing certain groups to be functional. Hell, under a democratic government, it could be a rule that anyone that makes less than $500k/yr isn't qualified to vote. Luckily, a republic is all inclusive and gathers the opinions of everyone.

45 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Rome was a republic. Rome catered to the people. 

The US is a republic. 

The Declaration of Independence says "We the people".

The Pledge of Allegiance says "the republic for which it stands".

Do you think that saying "we the people" in itself means that it is a fair system for all? You seem to be ignoring long-standing issues in america regarding sexism, racism, and classism.

Archived